CHILDRESS, TEXAS - FULL STEAM AHEAD
Business opportunities abound in this Main Street City with high traffic counts on major highways. There are dozens of available locations on the highways and the historic downtown area to put a new business in. New restaurant and retail opportunities are still plentiful with hotels, 18 hole golf course, a 585 acre ATV Park, and excellent healthcare facilites. Employment opportunities are absolutely everywhere in Childress, Texas. Come see what Childress, Texas has to offer.
US Highway 83 that runs from Canada to Mexico, US Highway 62 that runs from Niagra Falls, New York near the Canadian Border to El Paso, Texas and US HIGWAY 287 that runs from Montana to the Gulf of Mexico through Denver and Fort Worth / Dallas all cross right here in Childress.
Childress Regional Medical Center, Fox Clinic, Stoney Ridge Golf Course, Childress ATV / MotoPark, Childress County Sheriff's Office and Detention Center, Hampton Inn & Suites of Childress, Holiday Inn Express, Childress Banking Center and Pilot Travel Center, a Mult-Purpose Events Center and Pak A Sak Convenience Store are just a few of the multi-million dollar projects that have recently been completed. Several other building projects are currently under construction, including a new Veterans Administration Clinic.
Wind Energy brought several muli-million dollar transmission lines through the county.
Solar Parks have been constructed east of Childress. Misae Solar Park I is a 1,674 acre Solar Park. A new 3,800 acre Solar Park is to begin construction in January 2023, which is to bring 600-1000 temporary jobs through 2024.
With the abundance of electricity produced here by the Solar Parks, Iris Energy, a Bitoin Data Mining company is constructin facilities that are to bring 119 temporary jobs and 56 permanent full-time local jobs once completed.
Oil & gas activity in the surrounding area has brought projects and jobs to Childress County.
The Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River is one of two navigable rivers in the Panhandle of Texas for ATV's, Motorcycles, Full Size OHV's, Dune Buggies & Sand Rails.
HUNTING in Childress County and the surrounding area is absolutely excellent. Our large and abundant white tail deer, mule deer, wild hogs, turkey, quail and dove are attracting hunters from all over the United States.
Come check out Childress!
From The Handbook of Texas Online, The Texas State Historical Association:
CHILDRESS, TEXAS. Childress, the county seat of Childress County, is at the junction of U.S. highways 287, 62, and 83, in the central part of the county. The town is named for George C. Childress, author of the Texas Declaration of Independence. It developed out of two separate townsites, Childress City and Henry, which were platted about four miles apart on land previously occupied by the OX Ranch. When Childress County was organized upon the arrival of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in February 1887, the two towns contested for the position of county seat. In the first election, held on April 11, 1887, Childress City, which already had three businesses, won the honor. A wooden courthouse was built under the supervision of Amos J. Fires, the "Dean of the Panhandle Lawyers." However, the Donley County Court (to which Childress County was attached for judicial purposes at the time) canvassed the election and declared it illegal. R. E. Montgomery, the railroad's right-of-way and townsite agent, had always favored Henry as the county seat because of the rougher terrain at Childress City, which he claimed would prevent the railroad from building a depot there. Significantly, he had also purchased half the property in Henry. After the court's action, Montgomery proposed that the railroad give those owning lots in Childress City lots in Henry. Furthermore, when Henry was chosen county seat in another election, the company offered to change the name of Henry to Childress. Fires and his associates agreed to this compromise, and the businesses and residences were moved to the new Childress by September 1887.
The town then enjoyed a boom from the railroad, which constructed the Dwight Hotel, the section house, and the depot. The Childress Lumber Company opened for business soon afterward. Dr. J. H. Christler became the first physician and one of the town's first businessmen. Fires, who was elected county judge, started the first bank and helped organized the first school system. James S. Harrison began the town's first newspaper, the Childress County Index (later the Childress Index), in 1888. Four churches, Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, and Church of Christ, were established in Childress by 1889. The city was incorporated in 1890. It had a post office, a livery stable, a boarding house, a restaurant, three stores, a local YMCA, a theater, and a population of 621. There were also several saloons at first, but in 1904 a fatal shooting prompted the citizens to vote the town dry. In 1901, when the Fort Worth and Denver City began considering Childress as a division point, the citizens approved bonds and donated land to build shops, roundhouses, and terminal facilities. These businesses, in addition to the influx of farmers and homesteaders, provided more jobs and resulted in a population increase to 5,003 by 1910. Walter P. Chrysler served as general foreman of the Childress railroad shops in 1905 and 1906 before working as a master mechanic in Iowa and subsequently founding the Chrysler Motor Corporation. After a fire destroyed the first courthouse in 1891, an elaborate stone building was constructed and used until the present courthouse was built in 1939. For years a large windmill in the middle of Main Street served as the city's water source.
The railroad continued as the industrial mainstay of Childress into the 1940s. Construction of the Fort Worth and Denver Northern line from Childress to Pampa and increased activity in the railroad shops in Childress helped reduce the economic hardships of the Great Depression in Childress. In 1941 a move on the part of the railroad to discontinue its shops was thwarted by the citizens, in cooperation with the Interstate Commerce Commission. Various social clubs and lodges helped to promote the community, as did Childress Army Air Field during its existence from 1942 to 1945. In the 1920s a brick high school building was completed. In 1929 the town had a second newspaper, the Childress News, which was published under various names until 1942, when it was leased by the Index. In 1947 the Childress Reporter was established. After the depression and Dust Bowl era, the advent of modern farm machinery and improved highways reduced the town's rate of growth; the population was 6,464 in 1940. Furthermore, the railroad experienced a decline, and by 1970 several shops in Childress had been torn down. Such companies as Lanchart Industries, Royal Park Fashions, and Fiberglass Corporation of America moved in to supplant the railroad as the town's economic mainstay. The population decreased from 6,399 in 1960 to 5,817 by 1980. Nevertheless, Childress has remained the "Gateway to the Panhandle" and an important agribusiness center, as attested by several cotton gins and grain elevators. The first commercially producing oil well in the area was drilled in 1961.
In 1984 Childress had 159 businesses rated by Dun and Bradstreet, several churches, three schools, a public library, a hospital, clinics, nursing homes, and an ambulance service. The town's attractive Fair Park contains a small zoo and numerous recreational facilities, and the country club has a nine-hole golf course. The Childress County Heritage Museum features industry exhibits, local Indian artifacts, and furnished period rooms. Annual events include the Old Settlers' Reunion in July. This celebration, initiated soon after the town's founding in 1887, features a nightly rodeo. In August is the annual Greenbelt Bowl football classic, a contest between selected high school all-stars from a three-state area. Childress had a population of 5,055 in 1990 and 6,778 in 2000.
Lana Payne Barnett and Elizabeth Brooks Buhrkuhl, eds., Presenting the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Lan-Bea, 1979). Michael G. Ehrle, ed., The Childress County Story (Childress, Texas: Ox Bow Printing, 1971). Ray Miller, Eyes of Texas Travel Guide: Panhandle/Plains Edition (Houston: Cordovan, 1982). Paul Ord, ed., They Followed the Rails: In Retrospect, A History of Childress County (Childress, Texas: Childress Reporter, 1970). LeRoy Reeves, The History of Childress County (M.A. thesis, West Texas State College, 1951).
Please use the hand tool to navigate the map by clicking and dragging, the grid on the left to adjust your level of zoom, and the buttons in the top right to toggle between map view, satellite imagery view, and hybrid view.Click on any listing to view photos and listing details.